Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Door Decorations

I've seen this done before and I thought it was a cute idea.  I'd seen the letters at craft shops before so I headed over to Michael's to grab one.  Guess what-they don't carry them anymore. Neither does Wal-Mart.  Dead end?  Nope. 

My grandpa has a wood shop and I thought, if I can find a cute font that wasn't too elaborate that he could cut it out for me on his jigsaw.  I looked around and played with WordArt.  This is what I came up with:

I played around between Word and Paint, making parts of it wider, taller, shorter, flatter, etc.  When I was done I saved it and emailed it to my grandpa. He printed it off and cut it out of oak:
It was so pretty I wanted to leave it and just stain it.  But I painted it instead:
After I finished painting it I found a black ribbon that I'm sure was on some wedding gift.  I tied it in a bow and hung it on the nail that's in our door.  I noticed the back of the letter was scraping a bit on the door and leaving black paint so I mod-podged the back.  When it was dry, I liked it so much (the shine) that I mod-podged the whole thing.  I thought about sanding the edges, but I decided I like the shiny look better. I haven't taken a photo of that yet though...

So, there you go.  This project cost me 99 cents (for the black acrylic paint).  I already had the mod-podge, the brushes, the ribbon. 

And it's great too because I can add different color ribbons for different holidays!  I think it is a good little door decoration for any holiday:)

Total Cost: $1 for paint
Total Time: 1 hour

No comments:

Post a Comment