Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Canning...

My friend and I decided we wanted to can the numerous peaches and tomatoes we had.  It was actually a pretty simple process, just time consuming.  After canning, labeling and dating them I put them into storage.  Then I got this idea....looking at the lids and the permanent marker on top wasn't the funnest...what if I dolled them up a bit...

I created lid labels with a picture or the food, typed what they were and the date they were canned.  Then I created jar labels with the same information.  I could have printed them on adhesive paper and stuck them on, but I used mod-podge instead.  This way, when we're done with the food in the bottles, all I have to do is wash them (as I would anyway) and the label is gone.  The bottle's ready for another round!

Here is what I did:
The grape juice we did last year, but I figured I'd like all the bottles uniform.  I think it makes them look just a bit better rather than seeing hand writing on the lids...

Just me though.

Total Cost: $13 for peaches and seals
(got the jars from a girl in the ward, they had food in them so I emptied them and ran them through the dishwasher a couple times)
Total Time: approx. 4-6 hours
(my friend was kind enough to let us can at her house and once they were boiling, she let me go home and get some rest)

No comments:

Post a Comment