Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Current Project

I got this shelf from a roommate way back in the day...she used it to put her shoes and boots on.  After college my parents stored it on their patio and used it for pots and gardening tools.  It's had its fair share of use. 

When I got married and moved into our house, I took it down to my laundry room and I've  been using it to store my laundry supplies.  That room is gross as it is...
that paint shelf on the left is gone now...helps a bit to clean the place up...

and looking at this dirty shelf doesn't help. 



 See, it looks pretty gross huh...




So, I decided to refinish it.  I thought I'd sand it and then paint it, but come to find out-it's particle board...not really sand-able.  I repainted it (using the primer and spray paint from the pots).  It looks better, but it still needs some work.  There are some rough spots....

I went to Wal-Mart (man, I go there a lot...) and bought a yard of fabric for $2.97:

Now, when I've got some extra time (who knows when that will be), I'm planning on mod-podging it to each shelf.  I'll get some organizing boxes from Dollar Tree (seriously, sometimes there are some REALLY cute ones there) and put my laundry supplies in there.

I'll definitely be posting pictures of it when it's all done, but I thought it'd be fun to document where I am as of now...

Any suggestions on how I could (cheaply) fix up that dirty looking laundry room?  It's in the basement and has one small window...

Current Cost: $3 for fabric
Current Time: approx. 3 hours

No comments:

Post a Comment