Tuesday, December 19, 2017

Homemade Hot Cocoa Mix



I'm all about easy Christmas gifts for neighbors and friends.  I usually make bread, it's a nice change from the sugary treats that get distributed this time of year.  But since I'm not living close to my mom, I don't have easy access to a second mixer which means less time for bread.

So, I decided to make hot cocoa mixes.  I bought these jars at Target a couple years ago and have been hanging onto them for the right occasion. 

I've seen several recipes for hot cocoa mixes and was struggling to find the right one.  Some you had to add almost a 1/2 c. of mix to 1 c. water, which seemed a like kind of a waste to me. Others just didn't seem sweet enough.  So, after some trial and error, I came up with a pretty good mix.


This one I think is a combination of a couple. It tastes yummy and you don't have to use a TON of mix per cup.  I liked the layered look and idea, but when I started making this, I knew mixing it all would be easier (and probably easier for the recipient as well).

Here ya go:

2 c. powdered milk
2 c. coffee creamer (I used "original", but you can use a flavored one if you want)
2 c. sugar (I actually did 1 c. powdered and 1 c. granulated)
1 c. cocoa




Mix it all together and then start pouring into each container you have.  My jars hold 2 c. plus a few toppings.  



Again, I'd seen really cute tags online, but I didn't want to add 1/2 c. of mix when my jars only held 2 c. of mix (not very many servings).  And even 1/3 c. is being generous for this mix I think. 


But anyway, I made these cute tags and printed them on brown paper I bought at Wal-Mart awhile back. 


[print these out on 8 1/2 x 11]

I love the rustic (or whatever) look they have. I found the twine at Michael's and there you have it. 

*A little trick I learned to making the tags look cuter is to put the twine through twice...so both ends are coming out the front of the tag.  Then you can tie your bow in front and it doesn't make the tag lopsided and the bow looks extra cute:)





I hope this helps you if you're looking for something quick and easy for your friends, neighbors, family, or even you:)

Happiest of holidays to you!!

No comments:

Post a Comment