Monday, November 20, 2017

Easy Envelope Pillow Shams


I made a couple of these shams a few years ago, but have since bought another pillow...thus I needed to make another sham.  I searched my old posts to see where my tutorial was...low and behold I never made one.  So I decided to now.  I've seen a few online, but I don't like to cut or sew more than necessary and all the tutorials I saw started with three pieces.  Mine starts with one.

My pillows are 20" x 20" so I cut my fabric 21" x 50" 21" (one side) + 21" (the other side) + 8" (fold over portion)


After this I created a 1/2" hem by folding it twice over on both of the long sides

Then I sewed all the way down these on both sides

Once I did this, I made that same hem on the short ends & sewed them down


Alright, now I had a piece of fabric that was long and all hemmed.  Then I folded it in half (hotdog)

Now I unfolded one side up 10" (to 30")

Then I folded the other end down 10" (to 10")


So now I had my sham the size it needed to be with the fold over fabric centered on the back.
I don't use pins very often when I sew, but I did pin the points of intersection for two reasons.   One-so I knew where they were to keep it even on both sides and Two-so I could make sure to sew carefully over them as they were much thicker than the rest.  

Next I sewed just down those two edges of the hemmed portion, not along the folded edges.

Now, you can flip it and be done, or you can add one extra embellishment, which is what I did.  I flipped the whole thing (right sides out), ironed it and then did a quick little 1/4" hem around the entire thing.  

Now you can put your pillow in and add ribbon or leave them plain.


I added some wired ribbon I found at Jo-Ann.  I really love how they turned out.  I'm kind of obsessed with the ticking fabric (if you haven't seen my Stocking tutorial, I used the tan ticking).




I'm kinda loving how they turned out.  I love the simplicity of the ticking, but added the red ribbon for just a little more color and accent.  I love that they bring just enough red against the Christmas tree.  I love that I can use them for other holidays throughout the year.  And, I love that I got to make them.

Total Time: 1 hour
Total Cost: $23
Fabric: (2 yards with coupon, even though I have tons of extra) $15
Ribbon: $8 (didn't have a coupon)


No comments:

Post a Comment