Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Denim Patchwork Quilts

When I was updating our "dump" room into a kid's bedroom, I decided to add a few handmade items for a bit of charm.  

Denim throws were what came to mind.  Easy, pretty cheap (considering how much you could pay for these online), and fast.  

 I went to a local thrift store and bought the cheapest, biggest jeans I could find.  These were size 50 and cost $17 for all of them.  I made sure they didn't have any holes and weren't too worn that they'd fray or rip.

Wash them in HOT water to and then start cutting.

I wanted my finished squares to be 9" so I cut 9 1/2" squares to allow for seam allowance.

Once I had all my squares cut out, I placed them in the order I wanted them and started sewing

I sewed the blocks in rows (4 across), then sewed the rows together.  It really took only a couple hours maybe (I got most of them cut and sewn while my child was napping).

Once I had them sewn together (I kinda stopped taking pictures, I always do that).  I bought a single twin flat sheet (navy) from Walmart for less than $5.  I bought 2 yards batting at JoAnn's that was $5.98 a yard, so again, pretty cheap considering.

Place the batting on the denim (right side facing up/the batting), then the sheet on top of both (right side [if there is one] facing down/again, the batting).  Pin and cut around if needed

Now, sew along the edge (leaving a 1/4" hem).  Leave about 8-10" unsewn so  you can turn the quilt right sides out.

Once you've turned it, it's time to "quilt."  I just followed the squares and did some "ditch sewing" (or whatever the proper name is).  Seriously, this took me maybe 2 hours to do (luckily my grandmother has a Bernina and also watched my child for me).

Done.






 I didn't add a binding or border, these were pretty basic.  But I still love how they turned out; they give just a little bit of warmth and coziness to the room.


Total Price: $35 for both (so $17.50 each)
Total Time: 4-6 hours

No comments:

Post a Comment